Welcome to H3 Maths

Blog Support for Growing Mathematicians

Creative Mathematics teacher wins award

September22

How does the supply and demand for iPods help students make hypothetical business decisions both graphically and algebraically? And, what does bungy-jumping have to do with Barbie Doll calculations?
barbie doll jump

bungy

Meredith Progar won a State-wide teaching award for engaging 9th and 10th-grade Algebra students at North Allegheny Intermediate High School, using such common, everyday illustrations and analogies help make math engaging and fun.

I like to put myself in my students’ shoes and determine what makes math relevant to them. I scavenge for apps, online resources, and other things I can find to capture their attention and make math more interesting,” said Progar.

This creative approach earned her the 2015 High School Masters of Mathematics Award from the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics, or PCTM. For an example of her work, click on the image above.

(PS: H3 is, at this very moment, visiting family in Taupo, New Zealand. This is the “Events Center” of New Zealand and boasts a dramatic bungy jump into the Waikato River. )

by posted under Uncategorized | Comments Off on Creative Mathematics teacher wins award    

Skip to toolbar